As is common knowledge, the SOS feature on your iPhone is designed to speed up the process of contacting emergency services and contacts. However, if you phone the SOS number by mistake, you could get into many problems since emergency services like the police, ambulance, and others are only to be utilized in true emergencies.
But don’t worry; we’ll show you how to disable SOS on iPhone 7,8,13,14 in this guide. Learn more about SOS and the necessity to disable SOS on iPhone by reading this blog post all the way through.
What Does iPhone SOS Mean?
You might be familiar with the SOS feature on your iPhone. The abbreviation SOS stands for either “Save Our Souls” or “Save Our Ship.” It’s a function that enables you to request assistance in an emergency rapidly. Your iPhone immediately dials the local emergency services number and notifies your emergency contacts that you need assistance when you activate SOS.
If you find yourself in a dangerous position and need immediate Contact for help, the SOS feature can be helpful. It can also be useful when you need to contact for assistance but are in an area with poor cell reception. All iPhones running iOS 11 or later may utilize the function, and it’s simple to use.
To activate SOS on your iPhone, hold down one of the volume buttons and the side button until the Emergency SOS slider appears. Then, move the slider to make an emergency call. After a brief period of holding the buttons down, your iPhone will immediately contact emergency services.
Why Disable iPhone SOS?
If you use an iPhone, you may be familiar with the SOS feature, which enables you to call for assistance in an emergency. Although this function is helpful in many situations, there are a lot of disadvantages to employing it.
Here are a few of the key justifications for why you should remove this feature from your gadget.
- You should turn off this feature if your children use your iPhone to prevent erroneous alarms.
- You shouldn’t phone the emergency services by accident because they are only for emergencies.
- The side button will continually mistakenly activate the SOS Feature; thus, you must turn it off if you want to use it for something else.
- While this is essential in an emergency, some people might be concerned about their privacy if their location is automatically broadcast.
- Some people’s iPhones get stuck in SOS mode, so they must unlock their devices.
In 2023, How to Turn Off SOS on iPhone
You may quickly turn off the Emergency SOS feature on your iPhone if it’s more of a hassle than a help. Take these easy actions:
- Open Settings first
- Get your iPhone’s Settings app open.
- Second step: choose Emergency SOS
- Select Emergency SOS by swiping down.
Turn off auto-dialing
Disable the Auto Call setting.
By doing this, you can stop your iPhone from automatically dialing 911 if you hit the side button quickly five times in a row. If you don’t want to accidentally activate the Emergency SOS feature while trying to power off your iPhone or capture a screenshot, you can toggle off the Call with Side Button option.
You can still utilize the Emergency SOS feature manually by swiping right on the Lock screen and hitting the Emergency SOS button, even if you turn off the Auto Call feature. You may modify your iPhone’s settings to fit your requirements and preferences now that you know how to turn off SOS.
Other Techniques For iPhone SOS Disabling
- Turn off and on your mobile data.
- Cellular data can be turned on and off multiple times without losing its effect. To do this, follow these quick and basic instructions.
- Your Home Screen should take you to Settings.
- Toggle the Cellular Data on or off by pressing Cellular first.
Alternatively, you can activate or deactivate Cellular Data using the Control Centre.
Examine your SIM card.
Do you have a physical SIM card in use? If so, a faulty or incorrectly placed one can result in the SOS icon showing up. To solve the problem of how to turn off SOS on an iPhone, however, make sure you rule out both possibilities.
Force Your iPhone to Restart
Force resetting the iPhone is another simple way to disable the emergency SOS feature. Here’s how to go about it!
- After pressing the volume up button, release it.
- Then press the volume down button, then release it.
- Long-press the side button.
- When the Apple logo appears, release it. Your iPhone will continue transmissions after it has booted up.
Use of Siri
- You may also use Siri to turn off SOS on your iPhone if you prefer voice commands. This is how:
- Siri can be called up by saying “Hey Siri” or pushing and holding the Side button.
- Declare, “Turn off Emergency SOS” or “Disable Emergency SOS.”
- When Emergency SOS has been switched off, Siri will confirm it.
It’s crucial to remember that turning off Emergency SOS on your iPhone prevents you from using it in an emergency.
Fixing the SOS issue on the iPhone
While the SOS on an iPhone generally works without a hitch, occasionally, there may be one. Following are some SOS frequent problems and quick remedy instructions.
When activated, there is no siren: Ensure your phone is not in “silent” mode and your ringtone volume is cranked up.
Notifications to emergency contacts were not received: Verify that the Health App has the correct information for your emergency contacts. To access the Health App, click here. Open your Medical ID by tapping on your profile. ‘Edit’ should be selected. Include emergency contacts
The display is “frozen.”: Try rebooting the device if your screen is unresponsive.
Cannot disclose the location: Ensure the location permissions are turned on if the App refuses to allow you to share your location. Open the Settings App, choose Location & Services, and select System Services. On/Off switch for “Emergency Calls & SOS.”
If you unintentionally activate the SOS, you can stop it by clicking the “stop” button or pressing the side button again. You can turn off the SOS option or change the settings to avoid these mishaps. Select Emergency SOS from the Settings App. Here, you can modify the SOS activation process.
In terms of automatic emergency calls, there may be a few issues if you fiddle with the settings. Here are a few typical problems with automatic emergency calls and some prompt fixes.
- Check the SOS settings to see if the “Auto Call” feature is enabled if the automated calls are not being received.
- Check if you’ve added contacts to the Health App if none of your emergency contacts have called.
- Check to see if your carrier service can handle emergency calls.
How Can Emergency Contacts Be Removed?
Adding Emergency contacts is also possible with the iPhone SOS feature. Your medical ID will include all of these new emergency contacts. These contacts will be shared with the emergency personnel if you have activated an SOS on your iPhone, enabling them to contact you immediately in case of an emergency.
Additional Emergency Contacts will also be informed of your current location. However, if you added the incorrect Emergency Contact and want to remove it, don’t worry; we’ve listed the procedures to turn it off on the iPhone below.
- On your iPhone, tap the Home button to access the Health App.
- Select the Medical ID option in the lower right corner of the App once you’ve logged in.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen after selecting the Edit option.
- Your screen will show all your emergency contacts; tap on the one you want to delete.
- To remove the Contact from your list, select Delete Medical ID.
- Remove all emergency connections.
- Once the Contact has been deleted, select the “done” option to save the modifications.
There are a few considerations to make if you wish to turn off the SOS feature on your iPhone. The following are important details to keep in mind:
- By heading to Settings > Emergency SOS, you can turn off the Emergency SOS feature on your iPhone.
- From there, you can switch off the Call with Side Button and Auto Call options.
- Even if the Call with Side Button is disabled, you can still call using the Emergency SOS slider.
- If you ever find yourself using Emergency SOS again, repeat the process to switch it back on.
- Remember that the Emergency SOS option can save your life in an emergency.
In this blog post, we’ve covered a variety of techniques for resolving questions like “How do I turn off emergency SOS on my iPhone?” and “How can I disable SOS on my iPhone? Depending on your preference and convenience, you can choose any.
How can I turn off SOS if I don’t want my iPhone to call emergency services automatically?
Open the Settings App, select Emergency SOS, and toggle off Call with Hold, Call with Three Presses, and Call After Serious Crash. This will turn off SOS on your iPhone.
Can I modify how my iPhone handles emergency calls?
Yes, you may change the settings for emergency calls in the Settings App by choosing Emergency SOS and changing things like Call with Hold and Auto Call.
Why is my phone in SOS mode all the time?
Accidental button presses, hardware or software difficulties, carrier- or network-related issues, emergency SOS settings, or software modifications could all cause your phone to be in SOS mode all the time.
How do I make my iPhone’s SOS function?
The steps to enable SOS on your iPhone are as follows:
- Access the Settings.
- Navigate to “Emergency SOS”
- Adjust the SOS settings and activate the toggles.
- Add emergency contacts
What distinguishes iPhone SOS calls from other emergency calls?
Emergency Calls and SOS have similar objectives. However, SOS swiftly sends automatic calls to emergency agencies and discloses your medical ID and location. While your phone is locked, you can still call emergency services using the Emergency Calls feature.